Congratulations – your big day is in sight!
Not sure where to start? This check list will help to guide you in the right direction. Things on the list may or may not be relevant to the type of day you are planning and you may want to vary the suggested timings but hopefully it’ll help you on your way to a fantastic day!
For the purpose of this guide we are working with one year to the day but of course you can vary it to suit your timescale.
Countdown has started –
10 – 12 Months to the Big Day
- Choose a wedding planner if you need help – some planners will charge, some, such as myself, will give wedding planning advice free of charge provided other services are booked through them, e.g. venue dressing.
- Finalise a budget and be prepared to stick to it!
- Compile guest list and send Save the Date cards
- Choose your ceremony and wedding venue, check availability and book! Be prepared to pay deposits. Also block book rooms for guests if necessary. Book bridal party rooms if staying at the venue the evening before.
- Decide on your bridal party – bridesmaids, best man etc. and make sure they start organising Hen and Stag nights.
- Gather ideas for type of design and decor you are looking for. If you have decided to go it alone without a wedding planner start researching suppliers and attend wedding fairs.
- Start looking for ‘the’ dress. Some need to be ordered at least six months in advance so the sooner the better.
- Decide on a photographer, select one that does pre wedding shoots so you can be sure on the type of photography you want.
- Confirm suppliers, sign contracts, pay deposits – hair/make up, caterers, venue decorators, transport, band, disco etc
8 – 10 Months to the Big Day
- Organise wedding insurance
- Select and order bridesmaids dresses and groomsmen’s suits
- Choose and purchase wedding rings
- Plan a gift list or honeymoon details if you would prefer contributions towards it
6 – 8 Months to the Big Day
- Check passports are in date and look into changing names etc and legal documents required to travel – don’t forget travel insurance!
- Check and make arrangements for any necessary vaccinations
- Wedding dress fitting and bridesmaid dress fittings if they need alterations
- Decide on wedding favours and purchase
- Arrange make-up and hair trials
4 – 6 Months to the Big Day
- Plan your ceremony and prepare order of service if necessary
- Buy shoes, perfume, beauty products, jewellery and gifts for the bridal party
2 – 4 Months to the Big Day
- Confirm suppliers
- Arrange seating plan
- Send invites
- Enjoy your hen and stags parties
- Decide on music playlists
1 – 2 Months to the Big Day
- Finalise your seating plan and chase outstanding RSVP’s
- Confirm final numbers and food choices with the venue/caterer
- Pay final balances due to suppliers, venue etc
- Confirm all legalities are sorted for the ceremony
- Finalise table plan for venue
- Finish any printing e.g. place cards, seating plans
- Prepare speeches
- Final dress fitting – don’t forget to take your wedding underwear and shoes with you
- Order foreign currency if necessary
- Sort something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue
The Final Week
- Pamper yourself with beauty treatments, nails, hair done etc
- Delegate jobs to the bridal party
- Wrap gifts
- Arrange for someone to clean and tidy your house whilst you’re away
- Pick up dresses etc
- Pack for wedding night and honeymoon if necessary
- Make last contact with all suppliers to confirm final arrangements
- Visit venue with last minute bits – e.g. favours, place cards etc
- Nominate someone to pick up all the belongings at the end of the night/following day
- Attend your wedding rehearsal if church wedding.
The Big Day
- Relax and enjoy your day – it will fly by so make sure you take in each and every special moment surrounded by loved ones.
If you’ve booked a wedding planner please don’t hesitate and bombard with questions – that’s what we’re here for! If you haven’t speak to the suppliers instead. Don’t worry about hassling them -that’s all part of the job!